Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tracking My Savings

Now that I've gotten accustomed to using coupons and I've got the right equipment my goal is start tracking my savings. I really want to see my savings in terms of numbers, although it's kind of thrilling just to see stocked shelves and freezers I have.

On the left sidebar I've listed my actual grocery costs and the percentage of savings I'm averaging at the moment. But I came across a spreadsheet from Andrea at Mommy Snacks that will track each individual purchase so I'm going to use this too.


If you are just getting started:

1. Find out your store's coupon policy. Does your store double (or triple!) coupons? Do they accept Internet Printables? Do they limit the amount of coupons you can use? I've found that most policies are available on the store's website, but beware that some managers have the ability to change the "official" policy.

2. Find out when your store's sales start and where they advertise. Use coupons when items are on sale for maximum savings.

3. Set aside to clip and organize your coupons. You can't use them if you can't find them. Doing this doesn't have to be a long time commitment...I clip mine when I'm watching TV.

4. Just do it! If you are hesitant, start small but START. Even if you only use a few coupons a week once you see the savings you'll know it was worth it. And hopefully it will encourage you to keep going.

Leave me a comment with any questions and I'll be happy to try and answer them.

No comments: