Monday, May 9, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I've always wanted to have a garden but it just never seemed like I had the time to get it started much less take care of it. Then I heard about Square Foot Gardening. Using the SFG method gives beginners like me the chance to have a garden without all the prep work involved in your typical garden - tilling rows, needing a large space to work with, picking weeds, etc. Because your garden grows in a mix of compost, peat moss and vermiculite (referred to as Mel's Mix) instead of regular ole' dirt less watering is needed and less weeds find there way in.

After doing a little research and finding an extremely helpful site - mysquarefootgarden.net - I knew this was my type of gardening! So with the help of my husband we built this 4' x 3' box a couple weeks ago.


It has a weed liner along the bottom to keep grass and weeds out. We used the four posts to create a makeshift fence hoping that is enough to keep the deer & bunnies out of the box.

Then last week I added tomato, pepper and cucumber plants to the box.


So far all my plants seem happy in their new home. In the next couple weeks I would like to get stakes added (before the roots get too big) and maybe add another plant or some herbs to the empty squares.

Anyone else gardening this year?

2 comments:

Nancy said...

We have 4 tomato plants.

Bridget said...

My first year square foot gardening as well. I also have 2 large pots containing tomatoes and peppers. In my garden space so far I have onions, cucumbers and peppers. Hoping to add in some beans soon.