Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eating better...on a budget?


This morning I had my yearly physical and while it wasn't completely unpleasant we did have a long conversation about eating the right types of food. Among other things my doctor encouraged me to eat more hearty grains & whole wheat flour.

I've found that not only is this doable but it's affordable as well. (I'm not suggesting that anyone should sacrifice eating healthy in order to save money. Only that I've found a way to eat better and still stick within my grocery budget.)

I went to my local bread outlet and was amazed at the selection of whole wheat products that they had in stock. Normally, I buy my bread at FL or Kroger and I'll admit sometimes I forgo the "better for you" bread because it is pretty expensive-$2.69 a loaf and up-compared to store brand or white bread.

Today I was able to get 2 loaves of bread, 2 packages of bagels and hamburger buns all for $6.13! The bread and bagels were 2/$3.09 and if you spent over $5.00 you got to pick one free product. All the items were whole wheat; the bread and buns have no enriched flour at all, which is one of the food products my doctor said to avoid.

Maybe you are like me and never thought to check your local grocery outlets. For me it was definitely worth the trip and I will be making regular stops there now

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have one of those here, and I keep meaning to use it more often. It's not as good as the one I had back home, but I can still save a bit. And pick up snacks for the kids while I'm there as well!